Paul D. Crook, MDFellowship-trained Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Crook is a fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon, specializing in sports medicine and joint replacement for the shoulder, hip, and knee. He is committed to providing his patients with the highest quality of care.
Paul D. Crook, M.D., is a fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon, specializing in sports medicine and joint replacement for the shoulder, hip, and knee.
Dr. Crook graduated Magna Cum Laude from Washington and Lee University with a B.A in Chemistry. He was also a member of his college swim team, where he was a 4x All-American and served as team captain his senior year. He received his medical degree with honors from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine and completed an orthopaedic surgery residency at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA. Dr. Crook then completed a Sports Medicine Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine/ Burkhart Research Institute of Orthopaedics.
He is originally from Nashville and serves as the team physician for his alma mater, Montgomery Bell Academy. He has also served as team doctor for Texas A&M football as well as several professional teams including the Houston Sabercats rugby team and San Antonio Missions Triple A baseball team.
Dr. Crook holds active memberships in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA). He is also a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. Outside of medicine, he enjoys traveling, hiking, and spending time with his wife and son.Dr. Crook’s CV
- Undergraduate: Washington and Lee University
- B.A. in Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude
- Medical School: University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine
- Residency: Virginia Commonwealth University, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellowship: Sports Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine/ Burkhart Research Institute of Orthopaedics
- Graduation with Honors, UTHSC College of Medicine, 06/2013
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, inducted 06/2012
- Billy and Sally Gore Medical Student Memorial Fund Recipient for academic excellence, UTHSC, 2010-13
- Vinsant Family Scholarship for academic excellence, UTHSC, 2011-13
- Alpha Epsilson Delta Pre-Med Honor Society, Washington and Lee University, 06/2008
- Organic Chemistry Award, Washington and Lee University, 06/2008
- Phi Eta Sigma Academic Honor Society, 06/2006
- 4x NCAA All-American in Swimming 2006-2009
- 3x NCAA Academic All-American, 2007-2009
- NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient, 2009
- VCU Residency Representative, National Orthopaedic Leadership Conference, Washington, DC, 04/2017
- Honor Council Representative, UTHSC, 2011-13
- CPR instructor for UTHSC, 2011-12
- Peer Mentor for incoming students,UTHSC, 2009-11
- Peer Tutor, Physiology, UTHSC, 2010-12
- Intercollegiate Swimming for Washington and Lee, 2005-09, captain in 2009
- Crook P, Wayne J, Owen J, Hess S, Al-humadi S, Jiranek W. Initial Stability in Cemented and Uncemented Tibial Baseplates in Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Presented at VCUHS Residents’ Day 06/ 2016
- Presented at Orthopaedic Research Society (San Diego, CA) in 03/2017
- Presented at Virginia Orthopaedic Society (Charlottesville, VA) in 03/2017
- Accepted to the Journal of Arthroplasty (PMID: 28433426)
Crook PD, Foster WC, Kates SL, Korpon JR, Ortega GA, Boardman DN.Comparison of 90-Day Perioperative Outcomes in Shoulder Arthroplasty Between the Elderly and Nonelderly Patients.
- Accepted to Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabiliitation (PMID: 30377549)
- Presented at VCUHS Risidents’ Day 06/2017
- Crook P, Shah J, Lee K, Synghal G, Yanney R, et al. Efficacy of Intra-Articular Hyaluronic Acid and Cortisone Compared to Cortisone alone for Symptomatic Hip Osteoarthritis.
- Accepted to Journal of Arthritis, 02/2019
- Tennessee Titans football: 2019
- Houston Sabercats Rugby, 2018-2019
- San Antonio Missions, Triple A baseball, 2019
- Tennessee State University football: 2019
- Texas A&M football: 2018
- Texas Southern University football and basketball: 2018-2019
- High School
- Montgomery Bell Academy, Nashville, TN: 2019
- Kinkaid High School football, Houston, TX: 2018
- Varina High School football, Richmond, VA: 2013-17